Recipe: Blackberry Protein Breakfast Smoothie
Blackberries are typically overlooked as the go to berry, however they pack some serious perks. Not only do they taste great on their own, but you can use them as a fruity base to any smoothie for a boost of fiber, vitamin C, K and manganese. Blackberries offer impressive health benefits, including:
Antioxidant Rich: Blackberries contain high levels of antioxidants, including vitamin C and anthocyanins, which protect cells from damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Fiber: Blackberries are a good source of fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and reduces the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Vitamin K: Blackberries are a good source of vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting and maintaining strong bones.
Heart Health: The antioxidants and fiber in blackberries have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.
Brain Health: The antioxidants in blackberries may help improve brain function and protect against age-related cognitive decline.
Low Calorie: Blackberries are low in calories and high in fiber, making them an optimal fruit option for weight management.
On to the smoothie recipe. You can use fresh or frozen blackberries for this easy breakfast smoothie to start your day.
- 1 cup of fresh blackberries
- 1/2 of a banana (preferably frozen)
- 1 cup of water or almond milk
- 1/2 - 1 scoop of BioHealth's Vanilla Precision ISO protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 cup ice
- Optional: 1 scoop of Hydrolyzed Collagen
- Put the blackberries, banana, water, ice cubes, protein powder, chia seeds and honey in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add more honey for sweetness.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!