A highly contagious, viral disease infecting up to 20 percent of the U.S. population annually, influenza is also responsible for nearly 200,000 hospitalizations and tens of thousands of deaths every year. Older adults and young children are especially hit hard by influenza symptoms that can cause high fever, dehydration, joint pain and respiratory distress.
According to the University of Minnesota's Dr. Ryan Langlois, influenza makes you feel so bad because of your immune system's attempt to stop the virus from replicating in the body. Dr. Langlois also says that "this strong immune system response is the reason why we see serious complications arising from influenza infections".
Proven Ways to Boost Immune System Health
By keeping your immune system as healthy as possible, you can actively improve your ability to fight off the flu or significantly reduce the severity of symptoms if you get the flu.
An immune system that is not functioning properly because of poor diet and lack of exercise leaves the body open and vulnerable to hundreds of infectious airborne and surficial viruses and bacteria. Fortunately, there are evidence-based methods for boosting your immune system to help prevent influenza and other seasonal infections.
Plants have evolved special chemicals to defend against fungus, insects and mold. Referred to as phytochemicals, these substances also provide benefits to the human immune system. Research studies indicate that different types of plants and herbs can improve your health and even promote healing of existing medical conditions.
- Goldenseal--inhibits bacterial growth and aids in the prevention of parasitic infections
- Echinacea--aids in producing specific cells which fights many kinds of infection
- Astragalus--energizes the immune system, promotes tissue re-growth and nourishes the liver and heart
- Myrrh--also used as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory medicinal herb, myrrh reduces pain, fights skin infections and supports immune system response to infections
Include these foods in your daily diet to support immune system functioning throughout the flu season:
- Yogurt--contains probiotics which elevate the white blood cell count in your body
- Garlic--sulfur-containing, anti-oxidant compounds in garlic fight against all sorts of infections
- Red Bell Peppers--excellent source of beta carotene and phytochemicals, including large amounts of vitamin C
- Fish--lobsters, clams and crabs contain selenium, which assists white blood cells in creating flu-fighting cytokines
General activities to boost your immune system include:
- Getting at least 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night
- Drinking several glasses of water every day
- Reducing stress in your life
- Eating plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits and grains
- Engaging in outdoor physical activity, such as walking, hiking, bicycling or jogging
Supplement Your Immune System Health with BioHealth's SHIELD Immune System Booster
SHIELD is the ultimate, immune system boosting supplement available as a lemon-flavored beverage that you simply mix with water and drink. Yes, it's that easy to give your immune system the vitamins and minerals it needs to stop influenza viruses from taking over your health and well-being.
What makes SHIELD such a powerful immune system booster? The science behind its ingredients:
Vitamin C and Zinc
Both vitamin C and zinc are antioxidants with anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and antibiotic qualities that not only support the immune system but may also shorten the duration of colds and the flu.
Having one of the highest levels of antioxidant activity of common vegetables and fruit, blueberries and their phytochemicals diminish systemic inflammation caused by infections by enhancing the ability of cells to absorb vitamins and minerals essential for immune system health.
Solid research results back the immunological benefits of this medicinal plant. Ashwagandha provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that also support nervous system and heart health.
Gingerol is the ginger root's primary compound responsible for ginger's many health benefits. An anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial substance, gingerol is also an antioxidant that can help reduce oxidative stress in the body known to cause numerous chronic diseases.
The main active phytochemical in tumeric, curcumin exerts powerful, anti-inflammatory effectsby improving the ability of the immune system to respond to infectious viruses and bacteria invading the body.
If you're looking for something easy, take action and safeguard your health throughout the year by purchasing SHIELD today.